With a new position paper published today, CoESS welcomes the European Commission’s Communication (COM(2022) 31 final) on an EU Strategy on Standardisation, accompanied by a new Work Programme for 2022 and a proposal for a Regulation amending Regulation (EU) No 1025/2012. As an active player both in CEN and ISO, CoESS has gathered comments based on experience and views from stakeholders.
CoESS is convinced that targeted action, as proposed by the Communication, is key to deliver on the objectives of the Strategy. Our view on the EU Strategy on Standardisation is thereby guided by five principles:
1) ensuring that standards meet actual market needs,
2) enhancing the strategic dimension of standards,
3) attracting experts by making standardisation more flexible and easier to understand,
4) building bridges between the standardisation community and EU institutions, including the corresponding Directorate-Generals in the Commission,
5) creating consistency and cross-references between standards and EU legislation.
Based on these principles, CoESS is committed to supporting the European Commission, European Standardisation Organisations (ESOs) and stakeholder groups in implementing the new Strategy. With this paper, we make respective comments and recommendations in response to the European Commission’s Communication and invite the European Commission to engage with CoESS on how to improve recognition of the strategic importance of standards for International and European policymaking.
The full paper can be found here.